Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Layout Conditionally Dependent on Field Value Entered?

parodytx

This topic is 3549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Apologies in advance for the newbie question, but I really have searched extensively on the web, this site and various tutorials. My only conclusion is that I do not know which question to ask, as I am fairly accomplished in VBA. I am self-learning Filemaker Pro 12 as I need solutions for an Ipad and I like the ease of creation and modification on the fly.

Essentially, I have a database where the master might be many hundreds of fields, or I could create myriad tables and keys - this is irrelevant to the problem. What I would like is to create a solution where at the first field of entry, a dropdown allows for a selection of, say, 10 choices. When that field is filled, depending on the choice I would like a specific layout to appear for data entry. These layouts may have some fields in common with others but never all.

Put another way, if I have Item_Field, and user clicks A, I would like the layout for A to appear natively or show up in a portal below. When they click new record, it reverts to the main layout again.

I might also need this process to be iterative i.e. several levels down.

If this involves CASE scripting, that does not scare me, I just need to know what to look for in the reference materials as to what this process is called.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"Essentially, I have a database where the master might be many hundreds of fields, or I could create myriad tables and keys - this is irrelevant to the problem."

Absolutely not.

This IS your problem: defining an appropriate data structure.

Howdy Parodytx, and welcome to the FM Forums,

I agree with Bruce about the data structure, but your description sounds like you are wanting a conditional value list?

See if one of these help

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/83993-using-a-conditional-value-list-to-select-records-help-please/#entry388448

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/85478-problems-with-conditional-value-lists/#entry393419

Edited by Lee Smith
added welcome

• Newbies

Thank you for your reply. However a conditional Value list is not what I need - in that case the subsequent field is dependent on the first and you get a reduced number of choices appropriately tied to the first field.

Assume I have an inventory of 15 classes of items (Beds, Chairs, Rugs, Lamps, etc.) Each class of item has it's own table and fields unique to the class (Size -> Beds, Style-> Chairs, number of lightbulbs-> Lamps ->, pattern-> Rugs, etc.) Each table would have it's own unique layout where most, but not all (e.g. cost, number in inventory) fields are unique to that class.

Now the user needs to enter in data regarding the item. The first field they see could be alone, centered and called CLASS. It gives them a drop down choice of Beds, Chairs, Lamps, Rugs, etc.) Depending on their choice, I need the BEDS layout to pop in and become active if they choose Beds, CHAIRS layout for Chairs, etc. Then when they are done, the NEW RECORD button brings them home and it starts over.

Is this possible? Thank you for any further help.

Put another way, if I have Item_Field, and user clicks A, I would like the layout for A to appear natively or show up in a portal below. When they click new record, it reverts to the main layout again.

While I agree that data structure is important, and it sounds like you might be a bit off track in your design, I believe your current request can be addressed fairly easily:

Item_Field and user clicks A  <-- this would be a popup of layouts

Attach a script trigger to Item_Field using OnObjectModify.  Script attached would look like this:

Go To Layout [ by calculation ; Item_Field ]

---

As for returning when a new record is created ... the New Record button would be simply:

Go To Layout [ main layout ]

New Record/Request

---

Keep in mind that this means it can break if you re-name a layout.

I believe you are referring to an Entity Attribute, Value data model or EAV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity–attribute–value_model

In this approach you have known or even unknown pairs of Attributes and Values for any given Entity. 

For every Entity you can have a unique list of Attributes and either a known required value or user provide string. 

Is this what your after?

This topic is 3549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.