FM 13 - Find Container = Notisempty(container)

This topic is 3406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have (still) a Members database.  There is a field in Members:: called Photo.  Photo is a container field.

I want to produce a report whereby I show just members who have a NotIsempty(Photo) find.  But, in setting up the FIND, the Photo field is grayed out?! Huh?

Is there a work around for this?  (I know I could setup a boolean field "PhotoYesNo" and then Find on it.... but am I missing something native?)

Thanks

Ron

Typically when you have a container field like this you also store a textual reference to it with whatever properties you want to track (like size, file type, location,...).  So I've never had the need to try and use a container field for a search.  Given the nature of a container and the different types of data that can go in there I would not expect that to work.

Find on the stored properties of the container will of course always work.

(I know I could setup a boolean field "PhotoYesNo" and then Find on it.... but am I missing something native?)

No. Container fields (just like summary fields and global fields) cannot be searched.

To find data in container fields, create a text or number field that describes or identifies the contents of the container field. Then perform a find on that field.

• Like 1

Sounds like the consensus is that there is no 'native' way to include a 'isempty(::container)' so I will have to create a reference field and then find on that field.   Thanks fo rthe input all.

Am I missing the point? or did something change in 12 with the Remote containers.

Why not create a calculation field = not isEmpty (YourContainerField)

Then you can search for 0 depending to find the records without images.

HTH

Lee

Why not create a calculation field = not isEmpty (YourContainerField)

Seems a waste to create a calc field just to figure out if it is empty.  There is a lot of info you can get from a container field so if you want to create a calc field, make it just

= YourContainerField

That way you can get all that info and can still search on it being empty.  Two birds, one stone etc..

This topic is 3406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.