Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Corp's upgrade pricing burns customers that recently bought last version

This topic is 6136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I think it's a matter of naming conventions.

Mac OS X 10.3 (Jaguar) was issued with free patch upgrades from 10.3.1 to 10.3.9. It could equally have been called Mac OS X 11.0, with the patch levels being 11.1 to 11.9.

But that would have lost the visual and gramatical pun on "10" and "X" alluding to the uniX roots of the operating system. And let's face it, Apple is all about style.

Lol, Completely changing the subject - I LOVVVEE those Mac / PC ad's - ( "Let me calculate how much time you've just wasted" )

Did anyone watch that interview where jobs and gates had to talk to each other again? - It was like a real version of that Psych Mac/PC ad.

For some light fun:

Edited by Guest

Apple never charges for updates to its OS other than major updates. All of the 10.x updates (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4) were major updates. Intermediate updates, such as the recent 10.4.10, are free.

The difference between 10.0 and 10.4 is huge, to say the least; each iteration has brought more speed, refinements to the GUI, new features, and much more. Safari was introduced with one of these new versions, and iChat, iTunes, and other Apple apps were introduced in there as well. One of the versions (10.3 I think) introduced Spotlight, for example, which is a global search feature in Mac OS X.

To try to use Microsoft's glacial speed of updating (repairing) their OS as a comparison with Apple's is laughable at best. Apple provides numerous security fixes as they're deemed necessary, as well as interim bug fixes to each version of the OS, but they've been steadily improving the OS at a constant rate. Microsoft apparently hit huge snags in developing Vista, which is why it was so slow in reaching the market. The firm entrenchment of XP users now is going to make the migration from XP to Vista a lot slower than Microsoft had anticipated, as evidenced by companies like Dell, who have gone back to shipping their computers with XP loaded instead of Vista.

As someone who's used OS X since its release, I can tell you that the difference between OS X 10.0 and OS X 10.4 is enormous.

IE 7, Windows Media Player 10, 11, Windows Defender, Windows Desktop Search, Windows Firewall, Photo Story 3, CD Slide Show Generator (wow lol), Movie Maker 2, Direct X 8, 9, Virtual Desktop Manager, App Switch Preview, Blue tooth integration, constantly updated hardware drivers and so on... All free

Yes its true that the "Hot Fixes" are primarily security issues / bugs that are being fixed, optimizations to current code - You'll likely see the same sort of "new features" being released with windows as with Mac (Microsoft will release theirs a couple of months later mind you :) ).

Yeh, as to Vista, I don't plan to switching to it for a few months yet - But then recall if you will Mac OS X 10.0.

And still, no one's explained to me why Microsoft is an arrogant greedy corporation when compared to apple - this is the only question i've really asked and I really don't even want to bother with the Mac vs Windows debate (note at no point have I said that Windows was any better than Mac) because I'm smart enough to realize that this is a FileMaker forum.

And as someone who's used Windows XP since Hot Fix 1356 (around 2 months after it was released LOL!!!) I can tell you that the difference between then and today is Enormous.

Edited by Guest

I am not going to go into the whole Mac verses PC junk. Its about as pointless as like arguing CDMA vs GSM networks, Yankees vs Redsox, Liverpool vs Manchester United, which Star Wars was best, religion vs religion, BluRay vs. HD-DVD, Starcraft vs. Warcraft, XBox360 vs PS3, or SPAM vs ham. :) Its all pointless and its all about personal preference as everyone has an opinion.

However, I will add one thing though... MicroShaft may not be as greedy as CrApple (not arguing this either), but they are still greedy none the less; otherwise how can we jusify MS Works still being around? lol. Why do they even bother giving this to people or still offering it? :P

Edited by Guest

Hey, I didn't say they weren't greedy, the OP just said the Microsoft was greedy compared to apple.

Apple is a designer brand (like Chanelle?), and Microsoft.. well Microsoft is like target lol!! But then again, I guess the majority user base of Microsoft recognises that, and while i like it when the icons go bounce bounce on a mac screen, or it makes a little woosh sound, doesn't add much for me personally. I'm just as happy wearing a black no name tshirt as I am Nike, Stray, and I think that's reflected in my OS choice.

Mind you, I do own two iPod's (Microsoft's zune thing sucks butt) and will get an iPhone when it comes out because in something that small convenience and simplicity is important - but on a computer? I'm co-ordinated and can see well enough to click start -> all programs -> FileMaker (or just click the icon in quicklaunch) rather than clicking a little bouncy thing that goes bounce bounce.

Anywho, Mac is great, I prefer windows. Lets just leave it there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3Vcy7u8Gs

Bah. Australian football. :)

BTW the first youtube link I was like ehhh... but the second one with the interview is pretty cool. Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if those two just sit back and play with their money while laughing at the generated rivalry in the industry. Perhaps some of the public smack talking between them is artifically generated. Its like the old gangster rap that was in the US... Much of that whole East Coast vs West Coast was artificially generated to sell records for both sides.

This topic is 6136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.