Network Folder Paths to Images

This topic is 4549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a desktop solution that has images that are stored in a shared folder on the server. To view the images I mount the shared folder on each workstation and use calculation fields to display the images. Here are examples of the calculations:

imagewin:/O:/Images/1100231/Initial/Portrait Profile.jpg

imagemac:/OEFiles/Images/1100231/Initial/Portrait Profile.jpg

I am writing a FileMaker Go solution to work alongside our desktop solution. I need to display the same images in FileMaker Go and have tried numerous ways. Examples:

image:/192.168.1.9/OEFiles/Images/1100231/Initial/Portrait Profile.jpg

image://192.168.1.9/OEFiles/Images/1100231/Initial/Portrait Profile.jpg

image:///192.168.1.9/OEFiles/Images/1100231/Initial/Portrait Profile.jpg

file:/192.168.1.9/OEFiles/Images/1100231/Initial/Portrait Profile.jpg

I have given full access to Guests on the shared folder. I do not want to use SuperContainer. I do not want to store the images in container fields (our clients can have 1-40 GB of images, which causes other problems for us). I know I can setup a web server to share the images, then use web viewers to display them, but I would like to see if it is possible to display them using calculations first.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

The URL should be imagemac:/192.168.1.9/OEFiles/Images/1100231/Initial/Portrait Profile.jpg

I have only a little experience with iPads & FMGo but I think you cannot mount any share on iPad which is needed for this to work.

Given your constraints I would have a FileMaker Picture Table as an external data source. This of course implies fast network connectivity.

Personally I would do the thumbnails for the pictures myself and store them in a container field. It's only several 10kb for a 400pixel/72dpi preview and works pretty well.

The features of SC that I would use I can accomplish by setting up a web server on the FM server and using web viewers. Also, I have tried SC and when you have 12 different images on one layout, using calculated fields is faster than SC.

It was not my intent to put down SuperContainer. It is actually a really great product. We do not use it because we have been storing images and documents long before SC came around and already had a solution in place to manage them.

This topic is 4549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.