Layout not based on a table

tamala

This topic is 2618 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all

I have started using FileMaker about a month ago, and before then I haven't even heard about it. I've done a lot of reading, watched videos, went through training materials... Since then I normalized the existing database and am working on making things work properly. I managed to get filtered portals work and used ExecuteSQL to perform a count for which I didn't want to create another relationship. So far so good. But now I am stuck.

It might be easy but I just don't see a solution.

I want to create a layout that is not based on any table. It will just be a layout with a bunch of buttons that would open various reports. How can I do this?

The way I understand it is that when I create a layout, I have to select a table. But then, even if I don't add any fields, the layout has some records and even though I don't display field information from the table, I can see that it depends on these records.

I tried to use an empty table for the underlying table, but then the user can still click "New record" and even save empty records into this table, so I don't think this should be a solution.

Thank you in advance!

Main Menus are often based on a 1 record table. Use Security to not allow creation of new records in this table. Often, this table is also used as a System Prefs table (storing in its one record some container fields for logos, some global fields, etc.). Google "Prefs table" and OnOpen Script (which is now the OnFirstWindowOpen trigger).

• Like 1

• Newbies

Thanks a lot, all of you. I have used an empty table and disabled record creation in security, which was previously unknown to me. :) It's always handy to learn something new.

• Newbies

I didn't think that was possible. :) Thanks for the tip. :)

Correct me if I am wrong. Deleting the table automatically disables "New Record" and "Create Record" buttons, which is what I wanted. However, the user can still search, so I still have to change this setting in security.

This topic is 2618 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TomEkberg
      I have a layout that uses a portal. One of the items in the portal (Author) is tied to a value list of authors. When entering the previous field and TABbing into the Author field the field contains 'WebDirect-' followed by a hex number, which varies. In addition to that, a dropdown menu appears. If one TABs out of the Author field the 'WebDirect-' with the hex digit becomes the value of the Author field. Attached is an example showing the problem. The default value (when empty) is specified by the Get(AccountName) calculation. In FileMaker Pro 18 my user login name is the default. How can I get web direct to default to the user name?

• By ash1474
      Hi Everyone,
      I have my working solution with 10k+  records within one of the tables field i want to create new table, How can i create new table from already existing field. To clear my point i have made a demo/sample file. 
      I have a TableA with ID and two fields Person Name and Office Name. How can I make new TableB using field Office Name from TableA and keep the existing records.
      OR How can i split TableA into TableB using field Office Name and give it ID/auto enter serial.

Thanks in Advance for any Help.
      split_table.fmp12
    • By Arno
      Hi There,
       I’m pretty new with using Filemaker, but still I built a solution that fits pretty all my needs (for now…)
      I’m still experiencing one big problem with my solution for which I would need help.
      Here’s the context : I run a little company. We receive financial reports every quarter.
      All quarterly reports ( Excel file or csv file) have the exact same form.
      I then created a layout based on the table created when importing the csv that works properly.
      My need: as I’m to receive a new financial report on next quarters (Q12018, Q22018, Q32018 etc.), I would like to pull the new data from my Main layout.
      Is there a way of having a layout pull the data from the new table (actually whatever table) to be created each time I’ll be importing a new Financial Report without getting rid of the original data (which I would like to keep in place, for obvious reasons)? Let’s say from a pull down?
      Thank you very much for your help and don’t hesitate to get back to me if my explanations aren’t clear enough.
    • By kolvorok
      I'd get some problems with date formats after installing FMS 15, and I'm trying to solve it by importing to a clone of the original database. But two tables has no layouts and I can't find a way to import these tables without making a layout in the clone or adding a table when importing. The last seems to be the simplest, but how will the relationships behave?
    • By NewBoard
      I am currently building a database to handle the inspection sheets used by our Quality lab. Here is the relationship layout:

For each revision on the Revisions table, I have a differing number of Dimensions that need to be measured (some parts/revs will have 5 dimensions, while others will have 15). Each dimension has a specified type of instrument used in measurement, and a max/min value. The instrument used is a drop down menu that references a list of instruments/gages that we use.
      Here is how I have my inspection sheet currently laid out:

The portal on the left points towards my dimensions table. It shows the data corresponded to the specified Part Number and Revision level. The data contained in this portal is uneditable from this form. The portal on the right points towards my RecordedDimensions table. It will store data that will correspond back to the Lot# associated with that inspection sheet.
      I also have a table that pairs all the different types of instruments we use, with their corresponding gage ID's:

Now I would like my user to be able to click on the dropdown box under Instrument#, and that drop down box will only show the Gage ID's for the specified gage. So, if on the dimensions table, a dimension calls out for Digital Micrometers to be used, then when my user goes to select the instrument ID (which is saved in the RecordedDimensions table) it will would allow them to choose 151, 152, 153, 306, 324, 330, and 331.
      Please let me know if I have not provided enough information/pictures, I will gladly provide more.
      Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.