Merging Contacts Database w/ Content Database?

This topic is 3034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello!

Although I used FileMaker 3-4 years ago to build a nice database to organize my material, research, and notes for my creative writing projects (and I still use that same database today), I haven't actually built anything new in FileMaker since then, so bear with me!

My current objective is to create something that approximates a merger between the 'Starter Solution – Contacts' and the 'Starter Solution – Content Management' templates.  

The 'Contacts' starter solution template is a pretty great foundation for what I need in order to organize personnel because I'm doing a pretty large project wherein I will be working on a variety of smaller creative productions for which I will be collaborating with dozens of actors, actresses, musicians, writers, photographers, videographers/filmmakers, models, etc.  

The 'Content Management' template is only so-so for what I would like in order to organize a database of material, ideas, and notes (I will be primarily authoring or writing most of the scripts and sketches to be performed or produced as well as being the overall manager of all the creative content made).

One concrete problem is that I'm having trouble creating a conditional value list, where I first select the "medium" or the type of content that will ultimately be produced (writing, still photography, or video/film), then according to my selection, the options for the next field will be narrowed down to a pre-determined set of choices (for example, if I chose 'still photography,' my options for the next field would be something like: "nature photos, portraiture photos, action photos, architecture photos, object photos," etc.).  

I did find a guide for doing this, but it's not quite working for me.  If anyone knows the best (and possibly simplest!) way to achieve this, I'd very much appreciate it if you shared this with me.

Anyway, I would also like other fields on Content Management database, like logistical information (date and time of production, location of production, etc.).  But a key feature I would like is for it to be connect with the Contacts database.  By this I mean that I can plug in perhaps 3-4 potential actors who might be compatible to cast for a specific role in a specific script in the Content Management database, and after plugging them in, I'd like for there to be some kind of button or function where I can click each of the candidates' names (or click a button next to each name) and be directed to their record or profile in the Contacts database (which will have their bio, photos, contact info, etc.).  

I appreciate any tips!  I know I can find all of this out simply by researching more, but I was just hoping perhaps someone had a quick solution, as it seems like the need for combining these two types of databases might arise fairly often.

Thanks!

• Newbies

Sorry for the broad question/SOS.

Here's something more specific.

I am able to make conditional value lists following these instructions: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/~/creating-conditional-value-lists

However, it appears this method depends on creating new records and the specific "Item" options will be narrowed down and determined by the broader "Type" options only after creating many records and filling in answers manually.

But I already know the broader "Type" options I want to select from (writing, photography, and video) and I also already know the more specific "Item" options I would want my options to be narrowed down to (for example, if "photography" is selected under "Type," I would want the options for the next field to be narrowed down to "nature photos, portraiture photos, action photos, architectural photos, object photos" etc.).  

Is there a way to accomplish the conditional value feature while using CUSTOM VALUE LISTS?

30 minutes ago, lowbrow said:

Is there a way to accomplish the conditional value feature while using CUSTOM VALUE LISTS?

No.

30 minutes ago, lowbrow said:

it appears this method depends on creating new records and the specific "Item" options will be narrowed down and determined by the broader "Type" options only after creating many records and filling in answers manually.

Not exactly. But you do need to enumerate the choices in each category, by creating a record for each. You would have to do this using any method, wouldn't you?

Edited by comment

12 minutes ago, lowbrow said:

bummer that you cannot use custom value lists,

Well, technically it might be possible, if you used several instances of the same field, each formatted to use a different custom value list, and hide all of them except one, depending on the choice made in the main category field. I haven't tested this, but I believe it could work. Still, I don't think it's a good solution: the creation of new categories and the items contained in them is in the data domain and should be possible without requiring the schema to be modified. And, as I said earlier, I don't see what advantage you would gain: what's the big difference between listing the items in a custom value list (or rather custom value lists) or listing them in a table?

• Newbies

Thanks again.  

I tried just doing the tutorial linked about (and here: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/~/creating-conditional-value-lists)

But now my issue is that the resulting fields from following the instructions appear in a NEW layout...by themselves.   I hastily tried to copy and paste the new fields onto the other layout, which is where I want them (alongside other fields I've already created), but of course this was not the solution.

My brain is tired and foggy, but I'm guessing maybe if I follow sort of an inverse of the instructions, perhaps then in the end the resulting fields will appear on the first layout (where I want them) instead of a new, empty layout.

**UPDATE**

Not sure why, but I am unable to post a reply to this thread now (newbie here).  But I wanted to say THANKS for posting that file!!!

I'm just going to emulate what they did more or less.  The only thing I'm a tad bit confused about is that for SubcategoryID field options, it says to start the Auto-Enter Serial Number at 11 (instead of just 1), on creation (see attachment).  Now, I'm assuming this is because there are 10 different Subcategory options.  So I will likely just do +1 whatever number of total subcategories I end up having.  I just don't understand or quite follow why this is so.  But hopefully it just works!

FMP SS.png

Edited by lowbrow
Unable to add reply

This topic is 3034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.