FM Web Direct w/no sign in

This topic is 2603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My client is using FM Server 14. On it I have a web form that is accessible to the public. It requires no user name or password...it's entirely open via guest login.

I have server scripts that import the data entered into a broader ticketing solution that is locked down. The tickets are then deleted in the guest-accessed file. We are now looking at upgrading to FM Server 15 and the new licensing model.  I have a sinking solution that this kind of approach is untenable with FM's new paradigm.

Is this approach broken w/FM Server 15...requiring me to use something like Google Forms for data capture?

Hi There

The new FileMaker Licensing for Teams model is not really suitable for 'anonymous' logins via WebDirect since you have a fixed number of licenses. That licensing model is designed for teams who have a known number of members. The 'legacy' licensing model (previously known as AVLA or VLA) is not much better for your use-case, since you still have to stipulate a number of users.

I would suggest that if you want to use FileMaker (and who wouldn't!) you could use custom web publishing & PHP to access and manipulate your data. It can be tricky to debug when you first start using it, but it is very straightforward so long as you have someone who can design the HTML for you. It does not rely on the number of licenses you have, and so long as your server is fast enough there is no practical limit on the number of simultaneous users.

FileMaker 16 will bring new API access to your server data according to their roadmap, and I'm sure CWP using PHP will be deprecated at some point in the future, so you may want to wait for that version and see if it suits you better.

You could call your local FileMaker sales team and run your scenario past them, as they sometimes have ideas on how to fit their license model to suit your needs.

Hope that helps.

Edited by rwoods
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info! Sounds like my suspicions are confirmed.

Actually with AVLA it was ok because public guest users were only going to hit the form 5-7 times a day...virtually never more than 2-3 concurrent users. I suspect when we migrate I'll have to rebuild the forms w/Google Mail and then import via timed server script. I feel that's easier than CWP.

Edited by FoggyMt

AVLA and VLA required you to stipulate how many 'connections' you required from iOS or WebDirect clients, so was equally unsuitable for anonymous users or any situation where you could have an unknown number of users online at any given time. You can of course just buy say, 25 connections, and hope that this is enough, but if you have 'burst' situations where lots of anonymous users come online at the same time, it will give you problems.

Also, these 'connection' licenses tripled in price with the advent of FileMaker Licensing for Teams.

Calling the FMI Sales team and they'll advise you open the best course.

This topic is 2603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.