Sign in to follow this  
tstark

Scribe - Formatting in Word Tables

I have been using the Scribe plugin to insert text into word-based tables as part of an annual report.  I am using FM 16 on both Mac and Windows and have the very latest version of the Plugin.

I am able to insert the text into multiple tables throughout the document quite well.  What is not happening is that the new data is not maintaining the formatting of the table.  I would be fine with just holding the correct font and size. 

Should the data insert into the word based tables retain the formatting and if so what determines that formatting because inserting the data into a fully preformatted table removes all the formatting and sets the data back to some kind of default font of Cambria 12 vs. the Helvetica 9 that is in the table?

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd

Hi Todd,

Can you post your template or a test solution (or email it directly to me at ryan@360works.com) so I can try and reproduce what you are seeing?

Dear Support, 

I have the same problem, The format is maintained when using ScribeDocSubstitute in all the document but within the tables with ScribeDocWriteValue the format is changed. I have a table in a word document with font "Helvetica" and size "9" and the inserted text from Scribe is becoming "Tahoma" and size "14".  

Any idea. 
Thanks

Cédric

Just testing 360works Scribe and having trouble with formatting the data 'written' to a Word table. The forum suggests an old issue but I can't find a resolution. Guidance, please.

Les

Hi,

When the Scribe plugin writes to documents, it takes on the formatting and styles of where it is writing to. Unfortunately, at the moment it is not able to specify a different format from where it is writing to.

Creeper, there was a similar issue someone was experiencing before. Check your styles in MS Word under the Format drop down, and see if you have some formatting for tables being set. Another solution is to copy all contents and move it to a new word document that does not have any previous styling.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, nick360Works said:

Check your styles in MS Word under the Format drop down, and see if you have some formatting for tables being set. Another solution is to copy all contents and move it to a new word document that does not have any previous styling.

It doesn't work. I have tried to change the normal.dotm file also but with no luck.  What is strange is that after the export the "normal" style of my template is always modified by scribe. Maybe it has something to do with it...

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately our Scribe developer is working on another project that has an immediate priority. However, when he is available, I will have him take a look at this behavior.

We've been testing the recently released v3.1 and have the same table formatting problems as others here.

When using ScribeWriteDocValue any table/cell formatting is retained (say a background colour) but the text formatting, such as bold, italic and alignment is removed. The alignment is particularly frustrating as columns are often used to display right aligned price info, but currently everything is left aligned after being written.

We've tested using individual text styles and proper styles from the Styles pane.

Attached are a sample of the before template and after result when writing to the 2nd row onwards.

This is restricting our use of Scribe for this purpose.

Kind regards

Andy

ScribeTablesResult.docx ScribeTablesTemplate.docx

Hello,

I have submitted this issue to the developers and we will look into it.  However, I cannot provide an ETA.  Please check back with us.  Thank you!

Joshua

360Works

any resolution on this?

I notice that even after using style pane in word to style specific text, after using substitute all text reverts to the "normal" style as if ignoring my custom styles.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 360Works
      Scribe 4 - FileMaker OCR: Extract Text from Select Areas of Documents and Files Automatically
      We are back with a new demo for 360Works Scribe 4 featuring OCR in FileMaker!

This time our focus is on extracting text from select areas of your PDF document or image file. If you have a stack of files (i.e., forms, receipts, photographs) with text in the same select area and you need to pull this text into FileMaker, you can easily automate this process with Scribe.
      Watch the Video
      In this demo video, we will show how you can use the new drag-and-drop and coordinates functionality in Scribe to extract text from documents and images in select areas, to then store the data in FileMaker automatically.
        Watch the Video   Stay updated with 360Works

• By 360Works
      Scribe 4 - FileMaker OCR Scanning Demo Video
      Today, we wanted to share a practical way to use the new FileMaker OCR and PDF integration features in Scribe 4. If you have a stack of paper with information you need to access from FileMaker, you can easily automate this process with Scribe.
      In this demo video, we will show how you can scan in a stack of paper and extract the text (using OCR) into FileMaker, and have it on individual (spliced) PDF pages.
        Watch the Video   Stay updated with 360Works

Questions? Email: plugins@360Works.com

• By 360Works
      New Major Version Release:
      Scribe 4!
      We are excited to announce a new major version of a popular 360Works plug-in, introducing Scribe 4! 360Works Scribe is the ultimate document automation plug-in for FileMaker; it allows integration with Word, Excel, and PDF documents. In this release, we are taking it to the next level by adding in the ability to read your scanned documents, such as receipts, forms, or contract PDF files, with OCR (Optical Character Recognition) functionality. Additionally, we added features to allow you to merge PDFs and get meta-data from them, plus multiple fixes for existing functionality in Scribe.
      New OCR Functionality
      Scribe 4 ships with brand new OCR functionality to read your scanned documents and extract text to be added into FileMaker. For example, a law firm can scan in loads of paper legal contracts and have the text extracted and imported into the appropriate FileMaker records! Scribe leverages the technology of Amazon Textract which goes beyond simple OCR by not only extracting text but also identifying key information like the contents of fields in forms.

Click here for a cool demo file showing how to use this new OCR functionality in Scribe!
      New PDF Merge Feature
      We added two new functions to merge and manipulate PDFs with Scribe. For example, if you have a couple of PDFs stored in container fields, the new function ScribePDFMerge allows the two PDFs to be merged together. The new ScribePDFSplice function allows a multi-page PDF to be split up into smaller PDFs. This is beneficial if you have containers with multi-page PDFs, and only need to utilize a specific part of the entire PDF file.
      Get PDF Meta-Data
      You can now get meta-data about a PDF, such as the name of the author and page count. The new ScribeGetPDFAttributes function will return various meta-data about a PDF. This can be helpful if you want to have FileMaker manage PDF files according to the author or number of pages specified in the meta-data.
      Multiple Improvements to Existing Functionality
      We also made several upgrades to the existing Scribe functionality. When using Excel with Scribe, the Excel cell reading and writing images to Excel cells has been greatly improved. We also made fixes for the ScribeDocSubstitute function for replacing a value.

Try or Buy Scribe 4

Availability
      Scribe 4 is available now at the Scribe product page. Active maintenance subscribers for Scribe or the 360Works Portfolio Bundle can download new major version 4 at no additional cost. All purchases within the last 12 months are still under an active maintenance subscription. If the maintenance on Scribe has not been renewed within the last 12 months, you will need to purchase a new license to use Scribe 4.

For new license purchases, we have several license types available based on number of users, client-side or server-side usage, and a solution bundle license for developers with a vertical market solution.

A free, fully functional demo is available to test Scribe. While in demo mode, Scribe will run for 2 hours every time you launch FileMaker (or FileMaker Server, for server deployment).

Full pricing, license type information, and the demo version can be accessed at the Scribe product page.
        Try or Buy Scribe 4     Stay updated with 360Works

360Works

Questions? Please Email plugins@360Works.com

• By Stickybeak
      Has catalina broken scribe?

• By dmcs
      First off, I love 360Works plug-ins and Scribe. We've had a very successful deployment that has saved us lots of time thanks to this great utility. All I'm missing now is the ability to downsize the size of the font that goes into some of the PDF form fields because of extremely verbose answers that wind up getting cut off when the form is printed. I've tried downsizing the type in the database and in the calculation that sets the field. I'm thinking this may be a function of the PDF form template, but I don't have Adobe Acrobat Writer. I'm on a Mac. Let me know if there's a way to do this outside of altering the original form with Adobe Acrobat Writer. Thank you. 
  • Who Viewed the Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.