Server Maintenance This Week. ×

V9 spits dummy!

This topic is 6127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Have a database created V8.5 runs flawlessly. Installed Upgrade V9.01 and when I run my database, I am told that it was closed improperly! It then does a check of the database setup etc and then I get a dreaded Microsoft error message and it asks whether I want to tell Microsoft? (which I do in with a vain sense of frustration and hope that my single effort will some how provoke a response from MS!!!) FMPro V9 then closes... I have done a recover file, copy file, clone file all in V8.5 and then tried to load all these files into V9.. still spits the dummy!! Help please

Version 9 does a more through check of the file's integrity (similar if not the same as in FMServer). You may want to try saving the file as a copy - compacted(smaller version), instead of as a clone. Recover doesn’t always work and should only be used to pull data from the damaged file, at that point the file is basically toast. If you have FM Advanced try using the file maintenance feature, that works quite well for this kind of problem.

The experience of others suggests that you should get a fresh copy (not opened by 9.0) and open it in 8.5 and save a compressed copy. This copy should open Ok in 9.0.

If you have FM Advanced try using the file maintenance feature, that works quite well for this kind of problem.

[color:red]Absolutely and emphatically NOT. File maintenance should never be used on a file that is suspected of being damaged.

Steven

Here is a knowledge base article FileMaker has posted about this issue. http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6509

Opening the file in FileMaker Pro 8.5 and saving as compact has solved all cases I've seen. If you're still having issues I'd suggest contacting support.

File Maintenance isn't recommended for files that appear damaged because ideally you could throw the files away and go to the closest backup. This unfortunately doesn't really work in some environments because of poor backup systems. In general, this type of data corruption is caused by adverse problems with your server such as bad drives or power problems. If you file is damaged and there is no way of getting a clean copy, File Maintenance is definitely a viable option for you. So don't feel too bad about it :

Ok for me this brings up a few questions.

Since installing Fm Server 9 and setting up the backups and having it perform an Integrity check I'm seeing that 3 of the 33 files hosted are failing(yet remain open and seem ok). One was just recently written and in no way can be corrupt.

We always see posts Save a copy, clone the file, if you have advanced use file maintenance.

What does each do to the file exactly??? I understand what to do for certain situations, but don't understand why. Some solve indexing issues....etc

Enlighten me ;)

Michael

Now that I think of it, I really have no clue what the difference between Save a Copy As -> compacted copy means.... Sounds a lot like File Maintenance -> compress if you ask me.

I'm definitely going to ask someone that at devcon.

Now that I think of it, I really have no clue what the difference between Save a Copy As -> compacted copy means.... Sounds a lot like File Maintenance -> compress if you ask me.

Very different, especially in terms of their respective impact on possibly damaged files. Tech Info 5594 details some of this.

Steven

This topic is 6127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.