Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Email to multiple addresses?

Ian Murphy

This topic is 3735 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In forty minutes of Googling, I've only gotten more confused. I have an script step that is doing a fine job sending an SMTP email to the first address in a list, but I want it to send to all addresses in the list.

I have a bunch of related summary fields that get pasted into a field named "email_body." I have a table called Email_addresses that contains a field called email_address.There are four records there; each is a correctly-formatted address. My goal is for email_body to get sent to each of those four addresses (either as four separate emails, or as a message with four addressees, I don't care right now).

My SMTP server is working fine. With the options

Multiple emails (one for each record in found set)

To: Email_addresses::email_address

Collect addresses across found set

I was expecting four emails, but I'm only getting it delivered to whichever address is at the top of th elist (or maybe is active when the script is run).

Advice, or a link to a better tutorial than I've found so far, will be appreciated.

I suspect you need to either change the Multiple Emails or the Collect Across Found Set...

Try either a single email, collectiong the addresses across the set OR

Multiple emails one for each record but without collecting the addresses

This is difficult to follow, esp. this part:

I have a bunch of related summary fields that get pasted into a field named "email_body." I have a table called Email_addresses that contains a field called email_address.

Which table are you in when you send the e-mails?

Sorry to make this difficult. I often talk too much, both on message boards and in real life.

There are three tables that are pertinent:

Budget lines, where the bulk of the work is happening;

Email contents, where some records from budget lines are summarized and copied into a field called email_body; and

Email addresses, a table that contains only one live field, the addresses I'm seeking to include.

So Email contents is a table that basically includes one record with one live field, and I want its contents to be sent to every address in Email_addresses::email_address.

If you try to send while you are in a record of Email contents, you will send only to the first related record in  Email_addresses. You need to go to a layout of Email_addresses, show all records (or find the records you wish to send to) and send mail to the found set there.

You didn't say what the relationship between the two tables is; you will need to either make all Email_addresses records related to the one record in Email contents (using the x relational operator) or - preferably, IMHO - set a variable to the e-mail contents before moving to the Email_addresses table. You probably won't need the Email contents table at all if you go that way.

This topic is 3735 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.