Send mail with variable PDF

Per Waagø

This topic is 2836 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Forum! 

I have a script which sends an email to [current record] . Now I want to attach a PDF to the email automatically using the script.

So far I have tried with ... filewin:/$driveLetter/$targetDir/$[name_of_unique_field_from_FM]  as variable file path. But nothing is attached when I run the script. 

I hope you can help. 

Edited by Per Waagø

The window where you specify the path to the attachment is not a calc window so you can not mix strings and variables.

It can take a variable but only the variable, so the variable has to contain the full path and file name.

• Like 1

• Newbies

Hi there!

Thank you for your quick answer!

I am not sure I totally have made my problem clear. I dont believe I am using a calculation. 

Right now I have specified the attached file as:

filewin://GCteam/Shared Documents/John Smith.pdf

Where John Smith in this case is the [name_of_unique_field_from_FM]. That name of course varies from record to record.

So are you saying that it is not possible to make the path relative? 

Yes you can but not like this:

filewin://GCteam/Shared Documents/$someVariable

In your script use Set Variable to set $someVariable to "filewin://GCteam/Shared Documents/[name_of_unique_field_from_FM].pdf"

Then in the window where you specify the attachment, just use:

$someVariable

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi tried to send out email with variable pdf.however i get the attached error messageScreenshot.jpg.c598f5834c9d1fc3cd4cc6a96

My script is as follows

Screenshot.jpg.f42952b2d29fd3dc77eec215a

Any idea where i am going wrong and what is causing this error.

p.s THe button is on the record i ewant to attach

• 3 months later...

I'm having somewhat of the same issue.

bcooney, your demo from 2009 (http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/65699-emailing-a-pdf-form-from-fm-9/?p=311349) helped a great deal. But I can't seem to get the email attachment filepath right.

The purpose of my script is to:

1) go to each record in the database

2) save the layout for the current record as a pdf in a folder on my desktop - that pdf will have a filename derived from record data

3) send the pdf file in an email addressed using record data

4) go to the next record and repeat the process until all records have been processed

Everything works except there is no attachment in the email that is sent. Here is my script. What am I missing?

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 10.14.55 AM.jpg

Edited by steveald

Use Get (DesktopPath) & "Files/" &  KCL Master PrePrint::Combined Employee Name & ".pdf"

Just a suggestion, spaces are not your friend. Use underscores in table and field names.

No joy. Still no attachment in the email.

Do I need to specify different paths for saving the file and then for retrieving it to email?

Here is the script after making the changes you suggested (assuming I did it right).

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 12.37.48 PM.jpg

"It looks like to key might be setting more variables."

It isn't strictly necessary. But sometimes it can help clarify your thinking about what chunk of code does what.

No joy.

Thinking the mail process might need new variables other than the ones used to create the file in the first place, I came up with the following. But there is still no attachment in the sent email. My guess is the issue is somewhere in the path for where to get the file to attach to the email. I thought it might be because the file wasn't saved to the folder yet when the Send Mail command was invoked, but adding a Pause didn't help.

Also, can someone remind me what character is used within the Send Mail options to force carriage returns in the body of the email message?

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 9.09.19 AM.jpg

Ignore the last bit. Char(13) is what I was looking for.

Edited by steveald

No luck.

Even after I took it one step further. EmpCombinedNameNoSpace is the recipient's first and last name with nothing in between. So, an example of the name of the file saved to the folder would be "JohnSmith.pdf". Which means the path to the file should be /Users/Me/Desktop/Files/JohnSmith.pdf for both saving and sending the file.

Do the requirements for the path syntax for Send Mail differ from those for Save Records as PDF?

Here is my current script.

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 9.55.00 AM.jpg

No, creating the path is identical. Are you seeing pdfs in the Files folder? You could simply this by writing them directly to the desktop. I actually use Get (TemporaryPath) for this.

Hi steveald,

On November 23, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Per Waagø said:

filewin://GCteam/Shared Documents/John Smith.pdf

It is so simple in 14 to do this. Select the script in the Workspace and the use the button at the top right. Copy to Text, and the paste the result in your Body of the post.

HowToUseCopyScrioptText.png

Lee Smith, I don't see a Copy to Text button anywhere on my Script Workspace screen. Is it because I am using FMPA 15 now? Sorry, I forgot to update my Profile. (I was quite confused about this since your screenshot didn't appear at first for some reason. But that Copy Script Text button is not there in my Script Workspace.)

Sorry BruceR, I missed your screenshot comment.

I tried it with and without a 2 second pause again and With dialog On and Off. The pause had no effect. But the With dialog On resulted in the attachment appearing in the email as desired. So, it works - sort of.

My only concern with that is having to click Send on every email message that appears. And, as I mentioned, there will be thousands. Thoughts?

Edited by steveald

I don’t have version 15 so I can’t verify this. Perhaps they changed the button?

The old fashion way, is to print to Preview and then copy and paste that to your post.

That's odd. I still had FMPA 14 on my computer, so I tried that - and still no Copy Script Text button. Print > Open PDF in Preview worked though:

Save Records to Folder 3

Go to Record/Request/Page

[ First ] Loop

Set Variable [ $fileName; Value:KCLMasterPrePrint::EmpCombinedNameNoSpace & ".pdf" ] Set Variable [ $folderPath; Value:Get (DesktopPath) & "Files/" & $fileName ]

Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “file:$folderPath”; Current record ]
[
Document - ]
[
Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ]
[
Security - Printing: High Resolution; Editing: Any except extracting pages; Enable copying; Enable Screen Reader ] [ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page; Page Layout: Single Page; Magnification: 100% ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client; To: KCLMasterPrePrint::EmpEmail; Subject: "Requested File"; Message: "Dear " & KCLMasterPrePrint::Emp First Name & "," & Char (13) & Char (13) & "Attached is your file." & Char (13) & Char (13) & "Thank you," & Char (13) & Char (13) & "Steve" & Char (13) & Char (13); Attachment: “file:$folderPath” ]

Go to Record/Request/Page

[ Next; Exit after last ] End Loop 

My company might disagree - from a staying-in-business perspective.

Does that mean that you believe the only way I can do this is with the dialog box appearing for each invocation of the Send Mail script step?

No. It was attempted humor.

But there is something going on here regarding ensuring that the PDF gets generated and cache flushed. Perhaps others will have some ideas.

47 minutes ago, steveald said:

That's odd. I still had FMPA 14 on my computer,

AFAIK, this is the same for both versions. I looked up a video on the new Script Workspace in 15 YouTube script workspace FileMaker 15 and it shows in the workspace still. If you are using FileMaker Pro Advance, then it should be in both. Not sure if it is different in client, or you have a problem with your setup.

One more thing. Do you have Admin access to this file?

This topic is 2836 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.