Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is this forum dead?

This topic is 3234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Sorry for this kind of question, but since all my questions pertain to IWP, and since none of my recent posts have received replies, and since there is an absolute dearth of replies in general here, I am wondering if FM Pro itself is no longer popular for web use?  

Thanks.

There are lots of replies. 

IWP is obsolete tech.

The forum went through some substantial technology changes that unfortunately disrupted a lot of links to old answers.

IWP is obsolete tech.

Thank you for the information, Bruce.  But what do you mean that IWP is obsolete?  It is still supported in FMP from what I see.

I am aware that WebDirect is a new feature, but I don't see that IWP has been abandoned.

Currently, I have two separate FMP 11 Advanced databases hosted on a shared server using MacUSA:

http://macusa.net/fminstantwebpub7.cfm

One DB has a login, the other is auto login.  Once in, users conduct searches for info inside the DB.  They have no power to edit, nor do I wish to grant them that power.  As such, IWP serves its purpose fairly well and for a reasonable cost, but with some caveats that I've mentioned in my other posts:

http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/97330-how-to-create-a-link-without-opening-a-new-window/

http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/77735-iwp-mobiles/?do=findComment&comment=442282

http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/77766-client-side-javascript-in-iwp/?do=findComment&comment=442283

I look forward to hearing your detailed thoughts.

Thanks.

Edited by James Wages

That would explain the sparse date-stamps on posts this IWP thread, and explain why not a single person gave me the courtesy of a reply on my other posts (linked for you in my previous post).

Thank you for the info though, Wim.  However, it seems like the replacement for IWP (WebDirect) is a much more expensive and much more overly complicated "solution."  Consider what I wrote in my previous post.  All I seek to do is put a couple simple databases on the web, on a shared server that is reasonably priced (MacUSA charges me $139 per database per year, for two databases).  One database has authentication and the other is autologin.  And when people access the database, they perform a couple very simple searches, get their results, then log out.  That's it.  As such WebDirect seems to be overkill and too pricey for something like that.  Would you agree?

"I look forward to hearing your detailed thoughts."

No thanks. I suggest you reflect carefully on why you're not getting answers and why you're trying to assign homework to people offering free help.

Hey James, I am sorry you didn't receive responses.  Many of us are preparing for DevCon right now and as for your past questions, they probably needed to be bumped to bring to our attention again.  We all donate our time to help others here - none of us are paid - and we sometimes are simply too busy to respond.  And once a thread passes a day or so, we may not see it.

We all try to help as much as possible but this particular forum is now less popular than others and many folks don't even receive notices that something has been posted in them.  FMForums is the best forum out there on FileMaker and you will find most folks here are incredible givers.

Edited by LaRetta
  • Like 1

LaRetta and Josh, thank you for your kind responses.  I sincerely appreciate it.  FMEasyWeb looks intriguing.  I especially appreciate that helpful tip.  That fact it can be used on a shared web host is definitely a plus.  I will be looking more deeply into this now.

(Wim, thank you again for your mention that IWP has been "abandoned."  I did not know that prior to you saying it. And thank you, BruceR, for your earlier comment saying the same.)

Best wishes. 

This topic is 3234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.